Sunday, September 18, 2011

Mumbai...a world unto itself


A little history, Mumbai originally consisted of seven marshy islands but land reclamation joined the seven small ones into one big one.  They say it is different than the rest of India because its pulse beats more quickly and is considered the city of opportunity.   It is tropical with palm trees and warm salty breezes off the Arabian Sea.  It is home to 20 million people with mind-blowing contrasts of affluence and poverty.  You have luxury hotels next to a row of shacks.  I spent more money for scarves as gifts than 90% of the people earn in a month.  The slums and the number of beggars were comparable to what I experienced in Nairobi.

I had to end the tour early (only 7 hours) because I was exhausted but the high points were:
Gandhi Museum: It was his home while in Bombay
Chor Market (thieves Bazaar) in the heart of Muslim Mumbai: About 35% of the city is Muslim
Chatrapate Shuvaji Terminus: The world’s busiest train station built by the British and it used to be called Victoria Terminus.
Flora Fountain and area around it with lots of Book stalls
Gateway of India: 85 foot stone archway that was built to welcome Queen Mary and King George in 1911. About 25 years later, the British troops departed through the same ceremonial arch.
Prince of Wales Museum: It is a Victorian Building with Moorish domes and it only took an hour to see everything.
Babulnath and Mumbadevi Temples: Very different in size and structure and I made an offering at each and walked away with a red rope bracelet and bindi (red dot on my forehead)
Chowpatty Beach and Marine Drive: The beautiful seaside area and amazing bazaar
The Taj Mahal Hotel

I had lunch at Leopold CafĂ©, a Bombay institution since 1871run by Iranian’s since it opened. It had about 300 items on the menu so I was sure to find something I liked. 
Nader, my driver illustrated great driving skill and much patience when I asked to stop and shop. I am glad I came a day early to see this vibrant city.


Cabbie's taking a little down time

Small section of slums
Price of Wales Museum
Kashmir salesmen who I bargained with for scarves 
Gateway of India

Muslims on way to prayer
Muslim Mosque with 1000's on the walkway to prayer
Communal Washing

Busiest Train Terminal in the world
Susan at Flora fountain



No comments:

Post a Comment