Thursday, September 29, 2011

More information


I spoke to my guide and driver about my discussion in the “Lost Horizon” Bar and they were hesitant at first to discuss the challenges but from what they explained, it is even worse.  They can go 4 days without running water and up to 18 hours a day without power.  Over 700 people a day leave the country for work in India, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, etc.  because there are no jobs, especially for young people. There is a feeling of desperation and anger against the government because they have mismanaged so much.  They were suppose to have new Constitution 2 years ago and are still waiting.

We discussed all of this in terrible traffic due to rain and all the people leaving Kathmandu for the 15 day festival.  We did get out of the rain for a little while and went through what we would call a consumer fair on things people can do to improve their environment.  I have included a few photos of some of the booths which included solar panels, Habitat for Humanity’s Bamboo house, composting toilets, education material etc.

I will finish the travel loge tomorrow before I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment